Applications are invited from prospective candidates for Full-time/ Part-time research program leading to Ph.D. in Rock Mechanics from VTU, Belagavi.
A.For Full-Time Research Scholars
Admissions to this research program is restricted to candidates with M.E./ M.Tech. in Mining/ Civil Engg and M.Sc./ M.Sc. Tech (three years program) in Geology/Applied Geology/Geophysics/ Applied Geophysics from the Institution/University recognized by UGC/VTU.
Regular candidates should have scored first class or 60% marks or CGPA of 7/10 or 3.5/5 in the qualifying exam with consistently high level of academic record and should have aptitude for research.
Desirable candidates have to apply in the prescribed application form with requisite fee. A brief synopsis (minimum 1000 words/ one page) of the proposed research area out of available/ listed topics should be attached along with the application form. NIRM will conduct a personal interview of shortlisted candidates. Based on marks obtained in personal interview and academic grading (based on average percentage of marks obtained in all semesters in the qualifying examination and the GATE/ NET score) will be combined to make a list of selected candidates.
Selected candidates have to apply to VTU through “NIRM Academic Centre” for admission to Ph.D. programme. Candidates who are declared eligible for admission to Ph.D. program by VTU will be awarded Fellowship by NIRM.
Selected candidates have to follow all the prescribed guidelines of VTU for Ph.D. program. They need to clear the mandatory course as required by VTU before registration for Ph.D. Further, they need to pay the mandatory prescribed course fee to VTU till the completion of the course.
Course Tenure :
Maximum tenure of completion of Ph.D. (Rock Mechanics) programme will be five years.
Remuneration and Other Facilities :
1. Regular Candidates admitted in full-time research programme will be called Junior Research Fellow (JRF) for first three years and Senior Research Fellow (SRF) from fourth year onwards.
2. JRF shall get a monthly stipend of Rs.30,000/- (Rupees twenty thousand only) upto three years and SRF shall get a monthly stipend of Rs.35,000/- (Rupees thirty thousand only). Payment of stipend will be limited to five years (JRF & SRF combined) for the Ph.D. programme.>
3. All enrolled candidates will be reimbursed for medical expenses for the self as per NIRM rules (limited to Rs.20,000/ per annum).
4. JRF/SRFs should have to make their own arrangement for stay, no separate HRA will be provided for them. b>
5. SRF/JRFs may be sponsored to attend conferences to present technical papers and may have to work on industry/ government sponsored R&D projects. >
B. For Part-Time Research Scholars
The essential qualification will be the same as prescribed for the regular (full-time) research scholars. However, there will not be any cut-off based on percentage of marks; instead due credit will be given for the years and type of research experience in the field of Rock Mechanics.
For admission to to Ph.D. programme, a minimum of three years of R&D experience in fields related to geomechanics/ rock mechanics in the area of geology/mining/ civil engineering/ geotechnical engineering/ engineering geology/ engineering geophysics/ engineering seismology and seismotectonics is essential.
Admission Procedure :
Desirable candidates have to apply in the prescribed application form with requisite fee and a brief synopsis of the research topic proposed to be undertaken. NIRM will evaluate the applications based on the work area and the duration of qualifying work experience. A personal interview may be conducted and/ or presentation by the selected candidates may be arranged as prerequisite to the selection procedure.
Candidates need to be sponsored by the respective employers with an undertaking that requisite study leave (minimum 15 days per semester) shall be given for a period of five years for the Ph.D. programme. If the host company agrees to pay the course fee, the same should be furnished.
Working candidates willing to undertake admission and carry out research work on their own too should also furnish a similar undertaking that they shall present themselves for the minimum residency period during the five years course for the Ph.D. programme. They should also undertake to pay the prescribed fee for the entire tenure of the research programme.
Selected candidates have to get admitted to VTU through “NIRM Academic Centre” for admission to Ph.D. programme. They need to clear the mandatory course as required by VTU before registration for Ph.D. Once admitted to the research programme, they need to pay the mandatory prescribed fee to VTU till the completion of the course.
Course Tenure :
For part-time research programme, the maximum tenure of completion of Ph.D. (Rock Mechanics) is six years.
Course Fee :
For working professionals admitted as part-time research scholars, an annual fee will be charged by NIRM. This has to be paid in advance on annual basis till the completion of the course.
Other Facilities :
1. As NIRM does not have a guest house, part-time research scholars should have to make their own arrangement during their mandatory stay at NIRM.
2. They may be sponsored (with registration fee only) to attend conferences to present technical papers.
3. They may have to work on ongoing sponsored research projects at NIRM.
Last date of submission of Application extended to 10-04-2020 due to request from candidates in view of COVID-19 Epidemic
For further details contact Dr. P. C. Jha, Dean (Academics)+91-80-26934407
Dr. DS Subrahmanyam, Dean (Administration) NIRM.+91-80-26934415/9448402572
Download PhD Application Form from the following link: